Skip to main content

Granny Shawl - crochet pattern

 


I saw this beautiful rainbow yarn (Red Heart Roll with Sparkle - Magia) in Walmart and I had to have it. It's sparkly, it's acrylic, it's colourful, it's just perfect in every way.

I had no idea what I was going to make but it was spring/summer and these colours remind me of happiness, flowers, sun, love; and they put me in good mood.

That time I was creating https://www.erikadesigncanada.com/post/waves-placemat so that inspired me to make something that has a wavy edge. And with granny stitch you just can't go wrong. This is how #grannyshawl was born.


Materials: Yarn: #4 I used Red Heart Roll with it Sparkle “Magia”, 300g (10.60oz), 1026m (1122yds)
5 mm (US 8) crochet hook
Other: tapestry needle, measuring tape.
Gauge: 14 sc x 18r = 10cm x 10cm (4" x 4")
Finished size: approx 155cm x 50cm (61”x 20.5”)
Your finished and blocked shawl measurements might be a little different because of your yarn and your tension.

The stitches I used are the basics: single and double crochet stitches.
The only difficulty you might have with this project is the stitch count at the beginning. You have to carefully count the chains at the beginning, and you have to be patient with the first (foundation) row. If you got that, the rest of the pattern will be like walk in the park! So easy!

If you like wider shawl, I wrote the beginning chain number in the pattern as well.



How to wear it?
You can wear it in the office (we know the air-condition can be cruel sometimes), You can wear it for a wedding (especially if you make it with white yarn). The possibilities are endless.



Where can you find the pattern?
The pattern is available for purchase on my Etsy and Ravelry Shop:

Don't forget my FB group (Erika Design - Knitting tutorials and more https://www.facebook.com/groups/317146393213216), so I can help you with knitting/crochet questions you might have.

Pls tag me on Social Media when you make something after checking my tutorials: https://linktr.ee/ErikaDesign


Thank you for reading,






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting lesson 2

  In this lesson I'm going to talk about tension, and I'm going to show you how to do a purl stitch. (Remember, I'm a right handed continental knitter.) Tension and how to hold the working yarn Every knitters have their own tension. Some of us knit looser, some of us knit tighter, and that is perfectly fine. We just have to be careful not knit too tight or too loose. At the beginning of our knitting journey most of us knit real tight . I remember I was knitting so tight I couldn't even insert my left needle into the stitch, and it was so frustrating. That's why I always suggest to beginners to use a bigger set of needles, and thicker yarn because it's easier to work with them. When the spaces between our stitches on our needle are the same, when the stitches look neat and nice, that means our tension is good. We have to practice to reach that point. I knitted a summer top few months ago, and while I was knitting I got distracted so my tension, my stitches became...

Yarn weight and Wrap Per Inch tool

  When we want to knit or crochet something, we need to know the yarn weight, so we can determine what size needles/hook we should use. We all know that for thin yarn, we usually need to use small size needles/hooks, and for thick material we need to use big needles/hooks. Of course when we have a really thin yarn, we know that we can't use 10mm needles/hook. And vice versa: for thick yarn, we can't use 2mm needles/hook. When we use a pattern for our project, the designer usually tells us what type of yarn we should use, and what is the yarn weight s/he recommends for the project. North-Americans, Brits and Australians use different name for the yarn weight. But the symbols on the labels are the same in every continent/countries. What other information can the yarn weight give us about the yarn: Different weight has different gauge with the recommended needles/hook. When we work with thinner yarn, we need more stitches to get the 10cm (4") swatch. And of course the thicke...

Navy Bag, free crochet pattern

  Navy Bag This is a very popular bag, it has so much potential. You can use any colour, you can use a purse lock as I did, or you can use snap buttons, or you just use as it is without any closure. You can add a tassel, you can add pom-pom, you can add charms to dress the purse up. You can crochet a strap, you can attach a chain, or you can attach a leather strap to it. You can sew a lining with a packet into it The material: I've been using this rope material from Dollarama for awhile now for my bags, and I love it! Why? Because in my opinion this material gives you a really nice, and professional look to your project and it's so much durable than any other yarn. It's approx. 1.5mm cord. The only issue with it is wave in the ends is quite challenging. I always make a knot before waving, to make it more secure, but you have to tight it really hard otherwise it will unravel. And because it's a nylon kind of material, I singe the ends with a lighter as well. Material I u...