Skip to main content

Yarn weight and Wrap Per Inch tool

 When we want to knit or crochet something, we need to know the yarn

weight, so we can determine what size needles/hook we should use. We all know that for thin yarn, we usually need to use small size needles/hooks, and for thick material we need to use big needles/hooks. Of course when we have a really thin yarn, we know that we can't use 10mm needles/hook. And vice versa: for thick yarn, we can't use 2mm needles/hook.

When we use a pattern for our project, the designer usually tells us what type of yarn we should use, and what is the yarn weight s/he recommends for the project.


North-Americans, Brits and Australians use different name for the yarn weight. But the symbols on the labels are the same in every continent/countries.




What other information can the yarn weight give us about the yarn:
Different weight has different gauge with the recommended needles/hook.
When we work with thinner yarn, we need more stitches to get the 10cm (4") swatch. And of course the thicker the yarn, we need less stitches to get 10cm (4") swatch.
When we look at the label of the yarn, it always tells us the recommended needle/hook size for the gauge on the label. (Once I had German yarn that did not tell me the gauge, but I was able to look for the information online.)

Different yarn weight has different gauge
What is a WPI (wrap per inch) tool? And how to use it
WPI is a great little tool to help us determine the yarn weight of a material if we don't have labels for it.
After 35+ years of knitting, I can tell by looking at the yarn, what weight category it belongs to, but not all the time. That's when I get my little tool out, and check the wrap per inch of the yarn. The most commonly used yarn is the #4 (Medium, Worsted, Aran, 10 ply), but when the yarn is thinner than the average #4, it's difficult to tell if it's #3 or #4.

How to use the WPI tool?
Wrap the yarn around the tool (as shown in the pic), than count how many wraps you can make. In the pictures I could wrap the yarn around the tool 14 times. As you can see in the table below, it means that this yarn is a #3, light weight yarn.

Why it is important to know the yarn weight?

When a pattern tells us that we need to use #4 (Medium, Worsted, Aran, 10 ply) yarn, that means that we probably need 4.5mm -5.5mm needles, or 5.5mm-6.5mm hook for that particular
Checking your gauge is so important!
project. (you can check the table below for the US and UK needles/hook sizes as well). But those numbers are just for references. Everybody has different tension, especially when we work on a lace pattern, so checking the gauge is a MUST !

If you're a beginner crafter the table below can be a great help for you for any of your project. If you're an advanced crafter, you probably know your tension by now, and you don't need to use this table often, but it's a really good cheat sheet.



Here's the table with all the information I talked about
Hope this blogpost helped you understand the weight of the yarn, and that the tables above will be great help for you. If you have any questions, pls feel free to reach out!



If you're interested in my craft, check out my social media accounts: https://linktr.ee/ErikaDesign

Thank you for reading!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting lesson 2

  In this lesson I'm going to talk about tension, and I'm going to show you how to do a purl stitch. (Remember, I'm a right handed continental knitter.) Tension and how to hold the working yarn Every knitters have their own tension. Some of us knit looser, some of us knit tighter, and that is perfectly fine. We just have to be careful not knit too tight or too loose. At the beginning of our knitting journey most of us knit real tight . I remember I was knitting so tight I couldn't even insert my left needle into the stitch, and it was so frustrating. That's why I always suggest to beginners to use a bigger set of needles, and thicker yarn because it's easier to work with them. When the spaces between our stitches on our needle are the same, when the stitches look neat and nice, that means our tension is good. We have to practice to reach that point. I knitted a summer top few months ago, and while I was knitting I got distracted so my tension, my stitches became...

Navy Bag, free crochet pattern

  Navy Bag This is a very popular bag, it has so much potential. You can use any colour, you can use a purse lock as I did, or you can use snap buttons, or you just use as it is without any closure. You can add a tassel, you can add pom-pom, you can add charms to dress the purse up. You can crochet a strap, you can attach a chain, or you can attach a leather strap to it. You can sew a lining with a packet into it The material: I've been using this rope material from Dollarama for awhile now for my bags, and I love it! Why? Because in my opinion this material gives you a really nice, and professional look to your project and it's so much durable than any other yarn. It's approx. 1.5mm cord. The only issue with it is wave in the ends is quite challenging. I always make a knot before waving, to make it more secure, but you have to tight it really hard otherwise it will unravel. And because it's a nylon kind of material, I singe the ends with a lighter as well. Material I u...