Skip to main content

Are you ready to start your knitting journey?

 Knitting is a very ancient craft, some suggest that knitting originated in Egypt between 500 and 1200 A.D. What I love about knitting is I can create anything I want, everything I make is unique and stylish.


Knitting, just like any other craft, can be difficult for some, but I can assure you: with practice you can make anything you want for yourself and/or for your loved ones. You can make a small little dishcloth, or you can make a huge afghan, you can make a nice dress or you can make a pair of pants!



Oh yeah, I made my daughter these pants with a matching cardigan.

My favourite things to knit are sweaters, hats, and cardigans. You can also knit amigurumis, but to be honest, I prefer the look of crochet amigurumis.


There are few different knitting styles you can learn, but I will be teaching the Continental knitting. This style is the fastest and the easiest for me, and they say it is also the easiest to learn for crocheters. 


My first tutorial will be on how to cast on (CO), and how to make the knit (k) stitch.


What do we need for our first lesson?

Well, we will need knitting needles and yarn. That’s it. Later on, you will need a tapestry needle, measuring tape, and when you’re ready to make top down sweaters, lace patterns, hats on circular needles, etc.,  you will definitely need  stitch markers. If you don’t know what these tools are, don’t worry, I'm going to tell you all about them when we start using them .






What kind of knitting needles do you need for your first lesson?

You can use circular needles or straight knitting needles, it’s up to you. My suggestion is to use straight needles if you’re a beginner, so you can keep a nice tension. I’m going to show you how to use straight needles and circular needles as well.



What kind of yarn do you need for your first lesson?

You can use any kind of yarn, you just have to make sure you use the right needles for it (check the label!) I suggest using a chunkier yarn because it’s easier to work with if you’re a beginner, and definitely use a light(er) colour yarn, so you can see what’s going on on your needles. Try to stay away from black, dark (navy) blue, brown, etc.

I’m going to be using Loops&Thread Charisma and 9mm (no 13) needles for my first tutorial. This particular yarn is definitely available in Canada and in the US. If you're in a different country, I suggest you to check the label of your preferred yarn, and go for a yarn that needs bigger size needles (7-9mm).




This label says that it's a bulky (#5) yarn, and they suggest to use 9mm knitting needles (or 8mm crochet hook).







So, Are you ready???? I am ready and can’t wait to teach this beautiful art.


The comment section on these websites is not the greatest, so I created a FB group where we can discuss everything! Pls join Erika Design - Knitting tutorials and more


Thank you for reading, and see you in a few days for my first tutorial!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting lesson 2

  In this lesson I'm going to talk about tension, and I'm going to show you how to do a purl stitch. (Remember, I'm a right handed continental knitter.) Tension and how to hold the working yarn Every knitters have their own tension. Some of us knit looser, some of us knit tighter, and that is perfectly fine. We just have to be careful not knit too tight or too loose. At the beginning of our knitting journey most of us knit real tight . I remember I was knitting so tight I couldn't even insert my left needle into the stitch, and it was so frustrating. That's why I always suggest to beginners to use a bigger set of needles, and thicker yarn because it's easier to work with them. When the spaces between our stitches on our needle are the same, when the stitches look neat and nice, that means our tension is good. We have to practice to reach that point. I knitted a summer top few months ago, and while I was knitting I got distracted so my tension, my stitches became...

Yarn weight and Wrap Per Inch tool

  When we want to knit or crochet something, we need to know the yarn weight, so we can determine what size needles/hook we should use. We all know that for thin yarn, we usually need to use small size needles/hooks, and for thick material we need to use big needles/hooks. Of course when we have a really thin yarn, we know that we can't use 10mm needles/hook. And vice versa: for thick yarn, we can't use 2mm needles/hook. When we use a pattern for our project, the designer usually tells us what type of yarn we should use, and what is the yarn weight s/he recommends for the project. North-Americans, Brits and Australians use different name for the yarn weight. But the symbols on the labels are the same in every continent/countries. What other information can the yarn weight give us about the yarn: Different weight has different gauge with the recommended needles/hook. When we work with thinner yarn, we need more stitches to get the 10cm (4") swatch. And of course the thicke...

Navy Bag, free crochet pattern

  Navy Bag This is a very popular bag, it has so much potential. You can use any colour, you can use a purse lock as I did, or you can use snap buttons, or you just use as it is without any closure. You can add a tassel, you can add pom-pom, you can add charms to dress the purse up. You can crochet a strap, you can attach a chain, or you can attach a leather strap to it. You can sew a lining with a packet into it The material: I've been using this rope material from Dollarama for awhile now for my bags, and I love it! Why? Because in my opinion this material gives you a really nice, and professional look to your project and it's so much durable than any other yarn. It's approx. 1.5mm cord. The only issue with it is wave in the ends is quite challenging. I always make a knot before waving, to make it more secure, but you have to tight it really hard otherwise it will unravel. And because it's a nylon kind of material, I singe the ends with a lighter as well. Material I u...