Skip to main content

Little Diamonds Top

 I bought this really soft yarn at Michaels, and I instantly thought about a nice lace pattern for spring. It's a really stretchy material, I can stretch it twice the size, but it bounce back right away.






After I made this top for myself, I thought I was going to write down the pattern for it. You can wear it in the office with a nice skirt, or you can wear it with jeans. It is my favorite top when I do errands. It's a perfect little top for Spring.

I graded the pattern from XS-3XL.

It starts with a simple (k1, p1) ribbing and continues with the lace pattern. This diamond lace pattern is a very simple pattern, so it's perfect for everybody who knows how to (yo, ssk, k2tog, SK2P).

I used 5.5mm (US9) and 6.5mm (US10 1/2) knitting needles. The gauge is; 15 sts and 24 rows = 10cm x 10cm (4" x 4”) in Stockinette (k on RS, p on WS) with 6.5mm (US 10 ½) needles.

After I finished with the lace pattern I was about to make the neck and shoulders shaping, but I didn't want to make a crown or V neck. With this material and pattern I prefer boat neck.

So, after the lace pattern I continued with (k1tbl,p1) ribbing (for 8cm - 3.25"), the (k1tbl) stitch gives a twisted look, and you don't need to change to your needles to finish with this rib pattern. I shaped the neck/shoulders with short rows. If you're not familiar with short rows you can omit that, and just continue with the ribbing.. You can also make your sweater shorter or longer than the pattern ask you to do, by adding more lace pattern rows, or finish sooner than the pattern says (keep in mind that the top part, the ribbing is 8cm-3.25").
With the short rows, you can create a deeper neck opening for your liking (you can use short rows on both of your panels, or on your front panel only) The (k1tbl) stitch gives a twisted look, and you don't need to change your needles to finish with this rib pattern. While I was knitting the sleeves, I blocked the (front/back) panels. (How to block: https://www.erikadesigncanada.com/post/blocking-your-handmade-projects )

Now it's time for the sleeves. Pretty easy, not many shaping necessary. I wanted to create something that easy but sophisticated. The only shaping (increase) happens after the ribbing, and then you just keep knitting the diamond pattern until you reach your desired length of your sleeves.

Everybody has different length of arms, so it's really important to measure your project before binding off.



What I usually do is:
  1. pin the shoulders together
  2. put it over your head (this way I can also make sure the neck opening is perfect)
  3. pin the unfinished sleeve to the shoulder and check its length

When I finished the sleeves, I blocked them. It's really important to block your pieces before sew them together! You can smooth out the edges, you can even out your stitches with blocking, and you can block the panels to your measurements. Because of the lace pattern you can overstretch it, so be mindful of that!
You should also know that different material act differently when it comes to blocking. My material didn't respond to blocking as much, but one of my testers was able to block her sleeves really wide, so the pattern gave her bishop styles of sleeves. Your tension also can give a slightly different measurements after blocking (because of the lots of yo).

For best result I suggest to use similar yarn that I did: Contents: 66% polyester, 30% acrylic, 4% wool

Here's the finished top, the Little Diamonds top. Hope you like it.

Size: woman
XS: (Bust: 76 cm, 30”),
S: (Bust: 86 cm, 34”),
M: (Bust: 96.5 cm, 38”),
L: (Bust: 106.5 cm, 42”)
XL: (Bust: 117 cm, 46”)
2XL: (Bust: 127 cm, 50”)
3XL: (Bust: 137 cm, 54”)
Skill level: Advanced
Materials: Yarn: DK #3, I used Loops&Threads Cozy Wool Tweed approx.
XS: 291g/728m, 10.25oz/796yds
S: 300g/764m, 10.4oz/836yds
M: 347g/867m, 12.25oz/948yds
L: 385g/964m, 13.5oz/1054.25yds
XL: 438g/1095m, 15.5oz/1197.5yds
2XL: 485g/1212m, 17oz/1325.5yds
3XL: 524g/1310m, 18.5oz/1432.5yds




The pattern is available on my Etsy, Ravelry (check the QR code or my Linktree)


Don't forget to subscribe so you won't miss any of my tutorials/patterns/etc.

Don't forget my FB group (Erika Design - Knitting tutorials and more), so I can help you with knitting questions you might have.

Pls tag me on Social Media when you make something after checking my tutorials: https://linktr.ee/ErikaDesign

Thank you for reading,


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting lesson 2

  In this lesson I'm going to talk about tension, and I'm going to show you how to do a purl stitch. (Remember, I'm a right handed continental knitter.) Tension and how to hold the working yarn Every knitters have their own tension. Some of us knit looser, some of us knit tighter, and that is perfectly fine. We just have to be careful not knit too tight or too loose. At the beginning of our knitting journey most of us knit real tight . I remember I was knitting so tight I couldn't even insert my left needle into the stitch, and it was so frustrating. That's why I always suggest to beginners to use a bigger set of needles, and thicker yarn because it's easier to work with them. When the spaces between our stitches on our needle are the same, when the stitches look neat and nice, that means our tension is good. We have to practice to reach that point. I knitted a summer top few months ago, and while I was knitting I got distracted so my tension, my stitches became...

Yarn weight and Wrap Per Inch tool

  When we want to knit or crochet something, we need to know the yarn weight, so we can determine what size needles/hook we should use. We all know that for thin yarn, we usually need to use small size needles/hooks, and for thick material we need to use big needles/hooks. Of course when we have a really thin yarn, we know that we can't use 10mm needles/hook. And vice versa: for thick yarn, we can't use 2mm needles/hook. When we use a pattern for our project, the designer usually tells us what type of yarn we should use, and what is the yarn weight s/he recommends for the project. North-Americans, Brits and Australians use different name for the yarn weight. But the symbols on the labels are the same in every continent/countries. What other information can the yarn weight give us about the yarn: Different weight has different gauge with the recommended needles/hook. When we work with thinner yarn, we need more stitches to get the 10cm (4") swatch. And of course the thicke...

Navy Bag, free crochet pattern

  Navy Bag This is a very popular bag, it has so much potential. You can use any colour, you can use a purse lock as I did, or you can use snap buttons, or you just use as it is without any closure. You can add a tassel, you can add pom-pom, you can add charms to dress the purse up. You can crochet a strap, you can attach a chain, or you can attach a leather strap to it. You can sew a lining with a packet into it The material: I've been using this rope material from Dollarama for awhile now for my bags, and I love it! Why? Because in my opinion this material gives you a really nice, and professional look to your project and it's so much durable than any other yarn. It's approx. 1.5mm cord. The only issue with it is wave in the ends is quite challenging. I always make a knot before waving, to make it more secure, but you have to tight it really hard otherwise it will unravel. And because it's a nylon kind of material, I singe the ends with a lighter as well. Material I u...