Skip to main content

Blocking a handmade hat

 




I made this hat, and as you can see the stitches are not very beautiful, they're not even, the shape of the hat is not nice.

What can I do with it?

I can block it!!! My previous blogpost is about blocking knit projects (https://www.erikadesigncanada.com/post/blocking-your-handmade-projects ), and hats are no exceptions.



Ok, so how do we block a hat?

First, we soak the hat with our favorite wool soap/detergent for about 15 minutes. This amount of time should be enough to soak it all.


After we gently squeezed the water out (no twisting!), we roll the hat in a towel. I usually step on the towel (with the hat in it), to get all the excess water out of the hat.

The last step is to get our blocking mat and lay the hat on it. We can stretch the hat to our measurements, shape it, and we can make sure the stitches are even before we let it air dry.

If you don't have a blocking mat, but you have a small ball, you can put the hat on it to dry. The ball gives the hat a very nice, round shape. If you have balloons at home, you can use one as a ball.

Or if you have a mannequin head (all round), you can use that one as well.

I don't block every hat I make, but when I need to shape a hat like this, I do block it. The other hats I block are the ones that I made with lace pattern.



Don't forget to subscribe so you won't miss any of my tutorials/new blog post.

Don't forget my FB group (Erika Design - Knitting tutorials and more), so I can help you with knitting questions you might have.

Pls tag me on Social Media when you make something after checking my tutorials: https://linktr.ee/ErikaDesign

Thank you for reading,


Comments

  1. I am trying to get your blocking knit projects page and it comes in with a potential virus. I really don't like some of my knit hats and someone told me try to block it. I did one with a baby hat and I don' t notice any difference. I really want my knitting stitches to be more uniform. Help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lenny,
    I'm not sure why my page comes in with a potential virus warning. I've never had this problem before.
    When you think that your stitches/designs aren't showing, you can most definitely try and block your handmade hats. But keep in mind that not every material respond to blocking. The best material for blocking is cotton.
    Soak your project, squeeze the excess water out with a towel. If you have a ball that's the same size as your hat, use that. Put the hat on the ball, stretching out the stitches (be careful not to stretch it too much). If you don't have a ball, use your blocking mat. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knitting lesson 2

  In this lesson I'm going to talk about tension, and I'm going to show you how to do a purl stitch. (Remember, I'm a right handed continental knitter.) Tension and how to hold the working yarn Every knitters have their own tension. Some of us knit looser, some of us knit tighter, and that is perfectly fine. We just have to be careful not knit too tight or too loose. At the beginning of our knitting journey most of us knit real tight . I remember I was knitting so tight I couldn't even insert my left needle into the stitch, and it was so frustrating. That's why I always suggest to beginners to use a bigger set of needles, and thicker yarn because it's easier to work with them. When the spaces between our stitches on our needle are the same, when the stitches look neat and nice, that means our tension is good. We have to practice to reach that point. I knitted a summer top few months ago, and while I was knitting I got distracted so my tension, my stitches became...

Yarn weight and Wrap Per Inch tool

  When we want to knit or crochet something, we need to know the yarn weight, so we can determine what size needles/hook we should use. We all know that for thin yarn, we usually need to use small size needles/hooks, and for thick material we need to use big needles/hooks. Of course when we have a really thin yarn, we know that we can't use 10mm needles/hook. And vice versa: for thick yarn, we can't use 2mm needles/hook. When we use a pattern for our project, the designer usually tells us what type of yarn we should use, and what is the yarn weight s/he recommends for the project. North-Americans, Brits and Australians use different name for the yarn weight. But the symbols on the labels are the same in every continent/countries. What other information can the yarn weight give us about the yarn: Different weight has different gauge with the recommended needles/hook. When we work with thinner yarn, we need more stitches to get the 10cm (4") swatch. And of course the thicke...

Navy Bag, free crochet pattern

  Navy Bag This is a very popular bag, it has so much potential. You can use any colour, you can use a purse lock as I did, or you can use snap buttons, or you just use as it is without any closure. You can add a tassel, you can add pom-pom, you can add charms to dress the purse up. You can crochet a strap, you can attach a chain, or you can attach a leather strap to it. You can sew a lining with a packet into it The material: I've been using this rope material from Dollarama for awhile now for my bags, and I love it! Why? Because in my opinion this material gives you a really nice, and professional look to your project and it's so much durable than any other yarn. It's approx. 1.5mm cord. The only issue with it is wave in the ends is quite challenging. I always make a knot before waving, to make it more secure, but you have to tight it really hard otherwise it will unravel. And because it's a nylon kind of material, I singe the ends with a lighter as well. Material I u...